Sunday, April 18, 2010

Working Hard To Get My Fill, Everybody Wants a Thrill

Payin' anything to roll the dice, just one more time.
Some will win, some will lose, some were born to sing the blues.
Oh, the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on and on.

'Don't Stop Believin' - Journey

Last time I mentioned that relationships were changing and what you see today may not be what you see tomorrow. First, that wasn't just about me, that was about everyone. Second, that was a vague statement because I really didn't know what to say about it yet. That is starting to solidify in my mind just a bit. The first analogy that came to mind is that we are going to rearrange the deck-chairs on the Titanic. I don't truly expect bad things in this case, but it seemed too good not to write.

Someone told me recently that they tend to be cautious of anyone that befriends them after specifically not doing so (i.e. deciding after knowing someone for a decent length of time and only then being cool with them). I brought up the oft-told story of my dislike of Gabriel years ago, and how that changed into a friendship that I hold very dear now. People can change, pure and simple. However that doesn't mean that it isn't important to consider the motivation. Sometimes the answer to that is simple, for instance getting over whatever it was that led to the dislike. Other times it is something along the lines of 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer.' I suppose there are many others, but those seemed the most relevant.

Another part of that conversation centered around being close with people, and while this part was considerably more brief, it has kept me thinking ever since. It seems to me that you don't necessarily need to know all of what makes a person tick to be close with them. Now let me preface that with the fact that I love finding those things out, but that's just how I work. I suppose that most find me to be a good listener and take advantage of that fact tends to be integral as well. The fact that I don't necessarily discuss a lot of these things with my friends doesn't mean I'm trying to be distant. It seems to me that a lot of the bonds I've formed, especially in the more recent past, are based around the sharing of experiences, simply living life together and seeing what happens. However that seems to be changing as well. And for some reason this is the part that gets me wondering, not so much the part about befriending people long after meeting them. The following is not directed at one person, it applies to quite a few. But what I wonder is this; Why now? What is it that has changed so suddenly that is forcing us to reevaluate our relationships with the people around us. There will be many answers to this as it applies to numerous situations, but I think the answers are going to shape the months to come.

The last thing that stuck with me was a discussion about ex's, past and future (okay, that was cynical, even for me). I wander back again to last summer and the image of a light switch keeps coming to mind. I was going to give a variety of examples using all of us last year, but I'm gonna keep this one on me. Before most of our shenanigans started, I had my brief, well fling, for lack of better word but that seems wrong somehow, but when that reached the end of its predetermined time, I didn't give it anymore thought. Switch flipped. Then in a whole different part of the spectrum I had the one that kept going on/off/on/off. Never really knew how to figure that one out. As it turns out neither could anyone else. Good thing there was that it was based entirely on curiosity, so there were essentially no emotional ramifications. Lastly (though chronologically first) there was the one that interested me but didn't spark at all, so again, flipped off.

This year has started off completely different. Have you ever stuck the light-switch in the middle just to see which way it'll flip? Well that's what this feels like. Repeatedly. Right now this is just an observation, not a declaration of good or bad. However either way its going to be interesting. Part two of the conversation that spawned this is gonna happen soon, stay tuned.

In other news; if getting home at as late as I have the past few outings becomes the norm, then god help us all. I still can't process the past 12 hours. It was definitely all kinds of fun though, so it had that going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment