Sunday, September 3, 2006

Looks Like We're In For Nasty Weather

One Eye Is Taken For An Eye.

'Bad Moon Rising' - Creedence Clearwater Revival

So it turns out that I had only the faintest idea what was about to come. Aaron and Charlene are two very close friends of mine. I've known Aaron for four years, and Charlene for a year. Now in the time since she moved out with him, I was sort of the first person that really went out of my way to be friends with her. Due to this we had a little bit different relationship then she had with the rest of the guys. So now that they are next door, we were seeing quite a lot of each other, especially due to my work schedule. However over the past couple weeks, she had not really been talking to me much. She was however spending an inordinate amount of time with Steve.

While this was going on, things were worsening between the happy couple. For reasons only now being made clear to me, things were more or less in a steady decline. Her bonding with Steve didn't help things as she ended up becoming interested in him. This information is what has all been coming out today, when her and Aaron finally had the confrontation. I still don't know what all the details are, and likely won't until I wake up and talk to Aaron, but from what I did glean from talking with her is that they may be over, she may try and see if Steve is interested, she may choose to be single, hell she may just leave Seattle.

This of course all hinges on continued discussions with Aaron and with Steve when he returns from Longview. So all and all, this has created an impossible situation. Friendships will end by the time this is over, and they will end in the most ugly manner possible. So I have to sit while my best friend is forced into the middle of a battle that cannot be won, we're all pitted against our good friends, and the entire situation has entered freefall.

I can write on and on about the repercussions, the scenarios I've played out in my mind, hell, just about any aspect of this, but the one that intrigues me the most is my reaction to the fact she became interested in Steve. I'm not sure I can peg the exact emotion, though by the end of the explanation it should be clear. Since day 1, I have been the one she gravitated toward. And in the course of that, what was done to Steve and Emily (many things read into what was essentially a huge amount of random flirting that was truly meaningless) was being done to Charlene and I. Now I must state here unequivocably is that I'm not interested in her. Not something that would ever work...however...I suppose I was dissappointed on a variety of levels that this whole situation didn't target me. So basically I didn't succeed in taking a bullet for Steve, but I did succeed in taking a heavy blow to the ego. Probably not the most constructive reaction to have.

Well this is a drama that I only beginning to unfold. Look forward to our next episode, same bat time, same bat station.

No comments:

Post a Comment