Friday, July 27, 2007

We Didn't Start the Fire

No we didn't light it, but we're tryin to fight it.
'We Didn't Start the Fire' - Billy Joel

So the title of this may be slightly misleading, because one of us obviously did start it, but we'll never know for sure who. Many of you are aware of the living situation that I have been forced into, but here is the short version for those that don't. Due to circumstances beyond our control, three of the five people that were moving into the grand house that we'd planned, are now forced to live in the apartment next to where I have been living. This weekend has been spent moving all my belongings approximately 30 feet. I live in the dining room, which has been given privacy due to my ingenious contruction of the grandest box fort ever crafted.

However all of that came inches away from being destroyed. During the course of moving things into the kitchen, the stove got bumped on, albeit to low, but on nonetheless. My microwave was near enough to the one that got turned on that it caught fire. The part that almost made it worse was that, also in the interest of privacy, a bedsheet has been hung on one wall of the dining room, the one that looks into the kitchen, by the stove. Had the flames gotten another six inches toward the dining room, the sheet would have gone up, and from there....well I hate to let my thoughts wander there. Thankfully I have owned a fire extinguisher for quite some time, and it was very accessible as it was one of the few remaining items left in my old place. Aaron quickly grabbed it and extinguished it. So now I can say that thankfully all that happened is that the kitchen, as well as almost all my belongings are coated in fire extinguisher powder. Certainly a better fate than nearly befell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment