Monday, February 6, 2006

Enemies Foreign and Domestic

I have no inherent problem with religion, even though I am obviously not a religious person. Where my problem does lie is in the violence perpetrated in the names of deities. Perhaps it was insensitive that images considered insensitive to the Muslim world were published, however the backlash caused by that is purely reprehensible. If a single country were behind the attacks on various embassies, they would be considered an act of war. Of course the world we live in can't simply be defined in terms of countries.

Now all this isn't meant to portray Muslims in a bad light, it is merely the most current example. The vast majority of religions have committed atrocities under similar circumstances. I suppose my point in all this is that extremist elements in all the major religions are the biggest threat to peace throughout the world. It's a shame that people can't wage peace in the name of their god.

At the opposite end, and not based on anything in particular, I find it absurd how religion is being completely pushed out of our culture. Again, while I'm not religious, I have a distinct appreciation toward the tremendous good that religion can do. So when utterly benign things like Christmas celebrations, Ten Commandments displays in government buildings, any number of other things, are considered by the secular culture to be unfit, I consider it mildly disturbing to say the least. I could probably go on indefinitely about such things, but there will be a time and a place for such things.

For the more 'domestic' side of the title, I have to say that it is a shame more people don't think about the things they do before doing them. I'm all for a little harmless flirting, however there comes a time when people reach their limits. I'm glad I'm a bystander in this little show, cause there is still reasonably good odds that this story will get worse before it gets better. Ah what good times shall be had by all.

If you are still here, I hope you enjoyed the ride. Tune in next time as I take my shots at whatever random topic comes to mind, as that seems to be the type of mood I'm in lately.
Currently watching:
Battlestar Galactica - Season 2.0
Release date: 20 December, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment